2013 - The Year in Review
The Alliance Historical provided seven programs to the community during the 2013 season.
- Alliance Yesterday, 1900-1950
- Alliance's Big Guns
- What's Cookin'? Book Release Party
- Frank Atherton and the Alliance City Band
- Taylorcraft - the War Years
- History of Funerals
- Annual Membership Meeting
We continued to care for the Mabel Hartzell Historical Home and the holdings of the Society:
- Jim Newman completed painting the trim and porches with paint donated from Lowe's and a grant from the Greater Alliance Foundation
- Began a partnership with history students from Terry Davis's class at Mount Union to photograph and inventory all the items within the home
- Received a preservation survey from the State Library of Ohio and LYRASIS through a grant from the IMLS
We launched another award-winning book What's Cookin'?: Recipes and Stories from Alliance and Beyond that not only includes the food of Alliance families, but family stories and articles about the many businesses and organizations that call Alliance home.
In collaboration with the Alliance City Schools, we provided photographs and information about Alliance's history for a new third-grade curriculum textbook, Alliance Pride. We also began work with the schools to set up "treasure chests" filled with historical items the students can touch and feel. We hope to arrange for field trips for the classes in the spring to visit the Mabel Hartzell Historical Home in person.
An annual favorite, the Carnation Festival offers an excellent opportunity to learn about Alliance's historical past. Tours of the Mabel Hartzell Historical Home take place daily throughout the Festival.
Admission is by a $3.00 donation which helps support the maintenance of the house and the programs offered by the Historical Society.
As part of your tour, take a moment to relax in our Victorian backyard and garden and enjoy the labors of many local garden clubs and nurseries. We hope that you will visit us to explore one of Alliance's true treasures.
To schedule a tour at any time, please email us at . Tours are always available by appointment.